ActiveAdmin is a popular Ruby on Rails plugin for creating admin area. It helps developers solve many common problems to view/edit data as administrator. There are several other similar plugins, but I prefer ActiveAdmin because it allows developers to customize almost everything.
This post shows how to to add a custom action to an ActiveAdmin controller.
We want to add a custom action to our ‘products’ resource as follows:
– Custom member action – page ‘import’ which will have a form to do something with a product;
– Custom ‘collection’ action that will do some stuff;
– Custom controller action to process the form;
– Custom controller action to process the ‘collection’ command;
– Links to access new pages
Register our Product model with ActiveAdmin:
After that your can edit products using the power of ActiveAdmin.
We will use member actions to customize ActiveAdmin controller. Member action is a controller action which operates on a single resource.
Create actions to show a view with a form and process the post from form:
This generates routes:
– showimport_admin_product_path(product_object) equals to ‘/admin/products/:id/showimport’ pointing to the Admin::ProductsController#showimport controller action.
– import_admin_product_path(product_object) equals to ‘/admin/products/:id/import’ pointing to the controller action ‘import”.
Create a view which will be rendered from ‘showimport’ action (file ‘app/views/admin/products/showimport.html.haml’ ):
Add your code to the custom controller action ‘import’ to process the form:
Custom collection action
A collection action is a controller action which operates on the collection of resources.
Declare collection action:
This will generate the route ‘dosmth_admin_products_path’.
Place your code in the controller action:
All code is available on Github Gists.